The term “acidity” is associated with a gastric condition and implies to a burning sensation in the stomach due to excessive secretion of acid. Known as Amlapitta in Ayurveda, where amla refers to sharp and pitta to warmth, it is caused due to increase of sourness and heat in the body. Improper digestion of food gives rise to generation of ama (toxins) in the body which in turn causes hyperacidity. It is usually followed by symptoms of gas, inflammation in the chest and pain in the stomach. If the problem prolongs and is left untreated for long, it can cause chronic indigestion or even ulcers in the stomach. Ayurveda has few cures and treatments following which you can easily get rid of the problem of acidity. But before knowing about the remedies, understand its cause and symptoms and how it can be avoided.
The fundamental driver of hyperacidity is the disturbance of Pitta Dosha in the body. Pitta in Ayurveda symbolizes warmth or fire. There are many reasons for the exacerbation of Pitta and the principle one among them are eating foods that are not ought not be taken together (milk and fish, milk and salt), too much acrid or spicy foods and fluids, white flour items, foods high in sugar content, smoking, excessive intake of tea, coffee & liquor, eating in a condition of indigestion, smothering inclinations of urination and stool, lying in bed immediately after meals, remaining awake late into the night, excessive exposure to sun and heat and gastroduodenal ulcer.
- Stiffness & pain in the stomach
- Lack of appetite
- Acid reflux
- Sharp burping
- Feeling of restlessness
- Bloating in the stomach
- Inflammation in chest
- Bitter taste in mouth
Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Acidity:
There are various Ayurvedic home remedies for Acidity. Some of the most effective ones are listed below:
- Pomegranate juice (about 10 ml) twice a day aids in treating heartburn caused due to acidity
- Boiled ash gourd with jaggery calms swelling and burning sensation in stomach related with acidity and gastritis.
- Mix one tablespoon Triphala powder in a glass of water and reduce it to half. Sift and drink. For better results you can also add honey to the mix.
- Chewing half a teaspoon of fennel seeds after food is also useful in curing indigestion and gastritis.
- Half a glass of buttermilk mixed with a pinch each of asafoetida & turmeric and half tea-spoon of fenugreek taken before bed time is useful for treatment of acidity.
- Crush cumin seeds into fine powder. Add half tea-spoon of cumin seeds to one liter of water. Heat up the water for two minutes and filter. Drink this water instead of normal water if you are suffering from acidity. Drink 100-500 ml of delicate coconut water twice a day for help from hyperacidity.
- Pumpkin juice mixed with a teaspoon of sugar also helps in giving relief from acidity.
- In addition to all this, practice yoga on a daily basis to keep acidity at bay. Poses or asanas like vajrasana (throne pose), kunjal asana (stomach wash) and sarvangasana (shoulder stand) can help in reducing and preventing various types of digestive ailments.
- Various Ayurvedic Medicine for acidity also prove helpful in treating acidity. These ayurvedic medicines are prepared from unique medicinal plants which are natural and chemical free.
Diet and advice to be taken in order to cure acidity:
- Avoid smoking and limit your intake of tea, coffee and alcohol
- Avoid using ginger, garlic, vinegar, onions & lemons in cooking
- Eat your meals in a calm and relaxed atmosphere without any disturbance
- Avoid taking curd at night
- Exclude processed and packaged foods from your diet
- Avoid eating sour, salty, rich gravies and spicy foods
- Regularly practice Yoga and Pranayama